About this course
This FREE online course explores different aspects of the ‘jobs vs. environment dilemma’ through a lens of current struggles, as well as academic and policy debates. The different lectures, reading materials and zoom workshops discuss fundamental transformations in the ways we produce, consume and organise our economy and society.
Chapter 1: Introduction to the course
Chapter 2: Setting the context: why is the environment a labour issue?
Chapter 3: Responding to the environmental crisis: labour struggles from various sectors
Chapter 4: Theoretical debates on labour and environment
Chapter 5: Labour’s policy proposals
jobs vs. environment, green growth, de-growth, environmentalism, just transition, decarbonization, global labour transformation, natural resources, economic and ecological policies, working conditions
- At the end of the course, the participants will be able to state key facts related to the unequal distribution of greenhouse emissions.
- The participants will also be able to discuss the underlying issues of the jobs vs. environment dilemma.
- They will also be able to define and relate to key concepts in the environmental-labour debate.
- The course participants will also be able to analyse and compare the merits of different analytical approaches and policy proposals related to the labour-environment topic.
- Finally, at the end of the course, the participants will be able to assess related policy proposals.
What do I need to know?
This is a multi-disciplinary course drawing on the fields of social, political and economic sciencescourse. It is at the level of a Masters’ programme, but the concepts are explained in an accessible and well-illustrated way, so it is also possible to participate in the course using skills and knowledge acquired outside formal education. The course requires a working level of English.
The estimated workload is 6-7 hours per week if you read also the key reading for each unit.
You will be able to obtain either a Certificate of Participation or a Certificate of Accomplishment for this course. The requirements for each certificate as well as scholarship possibilities are detailed in Chapter 1 of the course.