Bernau bei Berlin, 3 April 2014 - Eleven new courses begin in Spring Semester 2014 at iversity.org. New certificates make it possible for universities and employers to recognise the achievements of online learners.
A total of 166,000 students have already enrolled in the eleven online courses that begin as early as 15 April at iversity.org, the platform for Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs). The courses cover a wide range of scientific disciplines, including biology, political science, medicine, computer science and design. The five most popular courses this semester are (number of enrolled students in brackets):
- DNA – From Structure to Therapy (33.000)
- Modelling and Simulation using MATLAB® (32.000)
- The DO School Startup Lab (23.000)
- Vehicle Dynamics I: Accelerating and Braking (20.000)
- The European Union in Global Governance (14.000)
A complete list of all the spring semester courses can be found at: https://iversity.org/courses/spring.
In some of the courses that begin this spring, students will be able to choose from a range of certificates, each differing in terms of examination conditions and price. In addition to the free participation certificate that all course participants receive, there are now three options for acquiring a graded certificate:
- Blue - The examination consists of tasks that can be automatically evaluated by computer, i.e. free text and multiple-choice tests. Price: 49€
- Green - The exam or assignment will be evaluated manually by qualified correctors according to the course instructor’s correction guidelines. Students also receive personal feedback and an individualised assessment of their exam. Price: 99€
- Gold - The examination will be held simultaneously on-site at several locations and then manually corrected. Again, each student will receive individual feedback. This option also allows for the awarding of ECTS credits, which can count towards university degree, similar to a study-abroad program. Price: 149€
The exact format of the exam is chosen by the course instructor. The Blue and the Green exam options use a special software that will verify the identity of the participant.
iversity’s Managing Director, Hannes Klöpper, explains, "The new examination methods and certificates are a huge milestone for us, our partners and our online learners. Online students can have their learning achievements officially recognised and MOOCs take a major step towards becoming more integrated into the existing educational landscape."
iversity.org is a European online platform for Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs). We support universities on their way into the digital age. iversity enables instructors from recognised institutions to teach interactive online courses to thousands of students from around the world. In so doing, we help to broaden global access to quality higher education.